Create UI Identifiers
Testsigma provides a UI Identifiers page which is helpful for the testers to manage UI Identifiers while avoiding duplicates and without modifying the Test Scripts directly.
We can navigate to the UI Identifiers page by going through:
Applications > Select Application > Select Version > UI Identifiers
The landing page looks as given below:
On the top right corner, we can see five buttons. They are:
- Import: Use this option to import UI Identifiers from an Excel or JSON file. Please check this article for more details - How to Import UI Identifiers?
- Export: Use this option to export the list of UI Identifiers to an Excel or JSON file.
- Copy from Other Version: Use this option to copy the UI Identifiers from another Version of the same Application in Testsigma. Please check this article for more details - How to Copy UI Identifiers from one Application Version to another?
- Create: We will be discussing about creating UI Identifiers in the following section.
- Filter: Use this option if you want to filter the UI Identifiers on the basis of Name, Identifier Type, Screen Name, UI Identifiers as shown below:
Prerequisites for creating UI Identifiers
Familiarity with Xpaths and CSS Selectors is a prerequisite for creating UI Identifiers. If you are not familiar with XPaths or CSS Selectors, you can:
- Either use the Testsigma Chrome Extension as shown in the below video:
- Or check this article for a detailed guide to creating UI Identifiers with Testsigma UI Identifier generator located under Advanced Options in Create UI Identifier page - How to create UI Identifier with Advanced Options?
Let us move onto creating UI Identifier assuming you are familiar with XPath and CSS Selectors.
Creating UI Identifiers - without Advanced Options
Clicking on the Create button on the top right corner opens the Create UI Identifier page with the input fields mentioned below.
Enter the details as given below:
Name: Enter the name that is used for UI Identifier.
Screen Name: Screen Name is used to group your UI Identifiers the Screen or Page they are located in your application. This helps you to filter the UI identifiers by Screen name from a big list of UI Identifiers.
Advanced Options: Use advanced options to create an XPath or CSS Selector interactively using the Testsigma UI Identifier creator. Please check the following article for a detailed guide on using Advanced Options - How to create UI Identifier with Advanced Options?
Identifier Type: Select the suitable locator from the drop-down box:
- link text
- partial link text
- class name
- tag name
UI Identifier: Enter the value for the UI Identifier type you previously selected. This can be:
- Value of id, name or class attributes of the HTML Element.
- Part of text or full text on the link if the Element is a Hyperlink
- XPath or CSS Selectors
Finally, click on Create button to finalize the creation. You can see the success notification for the newly created UI Identifier.
Happy Automation Testing!